Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Snow Day!

Yesterday was a day that all teachers dream about around this time of year it was a Snow Day! And it truly was as exciting as it sounds, or so I guess, because I just could not go back to sleep after receiving the text that I did not have to work! 

We had received almost 11 inches of snow overnight, and about 5 inches the night before that. This is the most snow that we have received in two years! I could have snuggled back into bed and taken advantage of some extra sleep, but no, the first thing that popped into my mind was: "How am I going to get my run in today!!"

I have always been a pretty fair-weather runner, I don't like to run outside when it is too hot or too cold, or too windy, or rainy, or humid! I have even been know to not run because there are too many clouds in the sky!! So, yeah, I am a very fair-weather runner!! 

My favorite weather to run in is about 65 degrees and bright sun, a cool breeze, but not windy! If I would actually only run when the weather is like this, I would probably only spend about 2 or 3 days a year running outside!!

Lately, I have just hated running on the treadmill! Up until about 3 weeks ago, I have not really minded running on the treadmill, but lately I cannot motivate myself to do it, I would rather run outside!! Our YMCA is going through some renovations which make using the facility pretty difficult, and it is always so crowded, that somedays I have to wait to even get on a treadmill. 

I have braved the cold weather for two races this year already, and survived! I have been running outside for the past three weeks, and so I was not going to make an exception for a snow day!! 

I was nervous, however, about the conditions of the sidewalks and roads, I knew the trail I normally run on would be snow-covered and I have a huge fear of falling while running (I do not need to injure myself!). So, I decided to head to the one place where I know the sidewalks would be clear of snow: the campus of Minnesota State University - Mankato!!

While the sidewalks were very clean, there was some student traffic (as they still had school!), but overall it was a nice safe place to run! I ended up getting in 4.75 miles before calling it a day! It was cold, snowy and windy, but I made it and feel more confident about running in not-so-perfect weather!


No comments: