Friday, April 18, 2014

Liebster Award

I feel very honored to be nominated by the beautiful Lauren at Halfway to the Castle for  the Liebster Award! This is a great opportunity to connect with new blogs and give bloggers something totally different to write about!! Seriously check Lauren out! She upholds the #runnerslove philosophy everyday and her blog is always a lot of fun to read!!


Here are the rules of the Liebster Award:




  1. You must link back to the person who nominated you
  1. You must answer the 10 Liebster questions given to you by the nominee before you
  1. You must pick 10 bloggers to be nominated for the award
  1. You must create 10 questions for your nominees
  1. You must go to their blogs and notify the nominees
Lauren really came up with some great questions for me. Here are my answers:

1. Why did you decide to start running?

I ran off and on in college, mainly so that I could eat what I wanted, and drink what I wanted!! Haha. But running was never really part of me then. 

It took until my mom was diagnosed with ALS (also known as Lou Gerhig's Disease) almost five years ago, that running because my therapy. I have never talked about this on my blog, as it is really too difficult for me, but here is the short version: the night my mom was diagnosed, I slept in my closet, or at least I spent the night in my closet, I was numb, I was scared, I was out of control. 

The very next day, I left the house and went for a walk to clear my head, walking allowed me too much time to think, so I just started running. I wasn't numb anymore, I was struggling to breathe, and to keep my legs moving, but I wasn't numb. I wasn't scared anymore, I had a goal, I knew where I was going. Running was my release that day, and has been by daily release through the past 5 years. Running allows me the time to just live, to not think about anything but myself, it allows me to free myself from all the hurt. There is nothing better than pounding your pain out on the pavement. Without running, I don't know where I would be. 

2. What would your best piece of advice for a new runner be?

Keep going! In the beginning it is hard!! Just keep going, don't give up! Find a group of friends that can motivate you through the rough times and cheer you on in your successes!! 

3. If you had 3 wishes, what would they be?

Wow! Only 3?? Well, in that case:

1. I would love to open my own running store. 

2. I want to inspire people. I want to give others hope when they think they have lost it.

3. I want to live a long, happy and healthy life, with lots of travel and adventures.


4. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live and why?

I get asked this question a lot! Mainly because I am a German teacher and everyone thinks that I want to move to Germany, or that Germany is my #1 dream destination, and while I LOVE Germany, and the city of Berlin, it is not where I would want to live permanently. 

I would love to move to California, somewhere in the Bay Area. I love having the ocean and the mountains close by (two HUGE loves in my life!). I love the vibe in SF and would love to live close to that. Also the food, the wine and the people! I would move to CA in a heartbeat if my current situation allowed.

5. Dog or Cat?

Dog!! Dogs all the way! 

I am NOT a cat person at all! 

I have 2 Yorkshire Terriers who rule my life with all of their cuteness! Small dogs are best, as I have some fear with larger dogs. Dogs are just great animals!! I have not lived without a dog for over 25 years!

6. If you were an Olympic athlete, what event would you compete in?

Great question!! I would compete in downhill skiing. Primarily in downhill or GS. I have skied my whole life, and raced just about that long! In my younger days, I was a ski instructor and a race coach, and those were some of the best days of my life. I love being out on the mountain, flying down the hills. I like to ski fast, so the downhill event would be my top choice!!! 

7. What can always make you smile?

The little things in life make me smile. My dogs, family, and friends. A great latte, a cupcake, or trying a new food.  My students have me smiling and laughing everyday. My BRFF Meg, can make me smile even on my worst days. Seeing the kindness of others warms my heart and brings a smile to my face.  

8. Favorite flavor of ice cream?

Coffee! Hands down! Yum!


9. Have you ever been fired from a job?

No, I haven't. I have fired a few people before though…if that counts! ;)


10. Tell us something we might not know about you from first meeting you!

I'm painfully shy! Seriously, I am! It takes all I have sometimes to connect with people. Most people think I am outgoing and really confident, and I can come off that way, but it is very hard for me!

Annnnnd Here are my nominations for the Liebster Award are:

1. Meg at Runaway Royalty 
2. Samantha at Dance to the Finishline
3. Sandra at Running through Pixidust
4. Jindy at Flowers Croon
5. Katie at Katie Looking Forward
6. Anne at Outrunning the Fork
7. Karen at Losing the Glass Slipper
8. April at Run the Great Wide Somewhere
9. Carolyn at Royal Runner
10. Daniella at Run Around the World

Now for the hard hitting questions:

1. If you could run with anyone,in any place in the world, where would you run & who would you run with?
2. If you weren't scared, what would you do?
3. What has blogging done for you and your life?
4. What is your favorite restaurant?
5. What was the hardest race you have run? Why was it hard?
6. When was the last time someone did something really special for you? What was it?
7. East coast or West coast?
8. How would you describe your style?
9. What accomplishment are you most proud of?
10. Are you a hugger, hand shaker or high fiver?


Have fun!!

5 comments:

katielookingforward said...

Oh you are the sweetest! I was nominated last year, but I might just have to answer the questions anyways, its been a long while since I did a survey! I had no idea you were a german teacher, or that you skied, both are awesome!!

Professor SnuggleSlut said...

Thanks so much! Love your answers and your reason for running is so honest, beautiful and sad. (((hugs))) I was nominated last year, but I'll definitely do a post answering all your questions! :)

HALFway to the CASTle said...

Thanks for the awesome shout out! I love all of your answer, I think you're on your way to accomplishing your #2 & #3 wishes already! I'm looking forward to meeting you at the #runnerslove meet up next weekend even more now

Lauren said...

I agree dogs are definitely the best!! I have two as well - a maltipoo and poodle-mix rescue! They are about 10 lbs each :0)

I used to live in Monterey Bay, CA. It is absolutely stunning! I so wish I could move back someday!

Jennifer K. said...

Totally agree with you on dogs over cats. Can't get onboard with coffee ice cream. Not when the world offers us chocolate!